The best way to reheat ribs & keep them moist
Reheating ribs tends to dry them out. Without the moisture, the flavour is nowhere near where it should be and your ribs will be tough and hard work to eat. Whether you use the oven, grill or microwave - there’s a tried and tested method to make sure your ribs are succulent, moist and moreish the second time around. Here’s our handy guide to reheating ribs to perfection.
In the Oven
Our method takes a little bit longer than some others, but it’s worth it.
- You’ll need; Aluminum foil, a baking tray and some BBQ sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 300F/150C/Gas Mark 2
- Cover all the ribs with BBQ sauce
- Double wrap the ribs in the foil and make sure it’s completely covered
- Place the ribs on the baking tray, being careful to not rip the foil
- Once the oven is hot, place in the oven for 20-30 minutes
- Set aside for 5 minutes to cool
Reheating Ribs on the Grill
This method is great if you want to recreate the flavour from the first time they were cooked.
- You’ll need; a grill or BBQ - charcoal or gas, some BBQ sauce and some regular barbeque equipment.
- Cover all the ribs with plenty of BBQ sauce
- Once the grill is at a medium heat place the ribs evenly on the grill
- Cook for around 3 minutes - until sizzling
- Turn the ribs over
- Repeat a couple of times, until they're fully cooked
- Use hickory charcoal for a special smoky flavour.
- Keep adding BBQ sauce during the cooking process to avoid drying out.
Reheating Ribs in the Microwave
If you are short on time, using the microwave is always an option - and will still give you reasonable results. It won’t quite bring the flavour back, but there’s less chance of the ribs drying out with this method.
- You'll need; a suitable glass or plastic container that’s microwave safe and some BBQ sauce.
- Place the ribs in the container
- Cover the ribs with the BBQ sauce
- Heat them on a medium heat for around 4 minutes
- Check to see if they are done
- If not, put them on for an additional 3 minutes
The secret with all these methods is preventing the ribs from drying out. Using lots of BBQ sauce is therefore essential and when reheating in the oven double wrapping and avoiding tears is crucial. Enjoy.
Most favourited articles
Get posts like these delivered to your inboxJoin the Tabl community