Wholegrain Lemon & Elderflower Cupcakes
A very easy and quick recipe with delicious results. If you don’t have any elderflowers don’t worry… just make the sugar syrup without the flowers or use a dash of elderflower cordial.
For the cake:
- 120g The Free From Fairy Free-from Wholegrain Plain Flour - £5.00
- 120g ground almonds
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 70g muscavado, brown or coconut sugar
- 80g maple or rice syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 55g extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
- juice of 1 lemon
For the syrup:
- 3 tbsp white sugar or rice syrup
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 elderflower heads - washed well
How to make
- Place the flour, almonds and bicarb in a large bowl and stir well. Or place them in a stand mixer and mix together until well combined.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160° fan/gas 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tray with cases.
- In a separate bowl (or empty the stand mixer bowl and use that) whisk the sugar, syrup and eggs for 5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Add the oil slowly along with the zest or 2 lemons and juice of 1 lemon.
- Finally fold in the flour mixture and divide between 12 muffin cases.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for around 20 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Whilst the cakes are baking make the sugar syrup by placing all the ingredients into a small pan over a low heat.
- Bring slowly up to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar if using.
- Once boiling remove from the heat and discard the elderflowers.
- Once the cakes are cooked remove them from the oven and spike around 6 holes in the top of each using a skewer.
- Divide the sugar syrup between the cakes and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar before serving if you wish.