Free-from Nutella Cupcakes
That’s right, you can have your cake and eat it too! You can tuck into delicious cakes with no remorse, as being healthy doesn’t mean you have to miss out on delicious treats. When baking many of us look for quick, easy and super delicious treats – but that can sometimes be tricky to achieve. With this cupcake recipe for refined sugar-free, gluten-free and dairy-free Nutella Cupcakes you definitely can’t go wrong.
- 150g The Free From Fairy Free-from Wholegrain Self-raising Flour - £5.00
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g coconut sugar
- 150g coconut oil melted
- 6 tbsp almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, mashed thoroughly
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 70g chopped hazelnuts
- 400g hazelnuts
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 120ml maple syrup
- 200g cashews
- 2 tbsp Pearly Queen Enfield Spring Blossom Honey - £7.50
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
Step One | Start by making the Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the 400g hazelnuts onto a baking tray and pop into the oven to roast for 10 mins.
- Remove the hazelnuts from the oven and leave to completely cool. Place the roasted hazelnuts into the food processor and blitz for 10-15mins. Until the hazelnuts have completely broken down and formed a hazelnut butter.
- Then add the cacao powder and maple syrup to the hazelnut butter and blitz for a further 3mins. Pop in the fridge to set.
Step Two | Make the cupcake mixture:
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°C. Line the muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in the coconut sugar.
- In a separate bowl combine the almond milk, eggs and coconut oil. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients. Add in the mashed bananas and the 70g chopped hazelnuts. Stir gently until just combined, do not over mix.
- Spoon in the cupcake mixture to fill half the paper case, then spoon 1 tsp of the Nutella into the middle and top with a spoonful of the cupcake mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven until well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch. Leave the cupcakes in the tin to cool and then transfer to a wire rack, ready for icing.
Step Three | Make the icing:
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Place them in a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients. Purée on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add 5 tbsp of Nutella to the bowl and combine well. Pipe or spoon the icing onto the cupcakes.