- Heat a 2 tsp of oil in a pan on a medium-high heat, and add a couple of cumin seeds (to check the temperature)
- Once the seeds start to fry, add a pinch of both cumin and mustard seeds - fry until fragrant
- Add the onion, garlic, chillies and ginger and fry for another 4-5 minutes
- Add the ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli powder and chopped tomatoes with a pinch of salt
- Fry for another 5-10 minutes until you have a deep browny/red colour
- Add in the main ingredients if using meat, vegetables or pulses (but not fish)
- Fry the meat until lightly browned then add enough water to cover the mixture and simmer until cooked through
Why not mix it up?
Add cream or coconut milk. For a healthy alternative stir in yoghurt at the end or even ground nuts.
Garnish with a squeeze of lemon juice, deep fried onions or chopped coriander